Monday, December 17, 2012

Tech Archives - 60 Amp Alternator Upgrade


  • I'll be switching to a 60 AMP alternator when we start up the new motor. I think I'm all set with what needs to change with the engine bay wiring. What I'm hoping for input on is the dash wiring. I've heard that there can be issues with the extra heat causing issues? Can somebody confirm or deny this? What should be done to make sure there are no issue? Also, if I just want to get things working, would could be an easy fix?  Josh Mitchell

  • I think the trouble comes with the ammeter because all of the current is flowing through it and by boosting the alternator output, you're increasing the load on the ammeter. If you bypass the ammeter, I don't think there's any problem with the dash wiring. You can also replace it with a voltmeter, or you can have the ammeter upgraded.  Menko Johnson

  • Just remember, the alternator is ONLY going to pump what its "told" to by the voltage regulator. Get a good electronic regulator and youll be fine. Also if you are going to get "jiggy" with the electrical system and are not going for resto-show appearance, I would consider fused relays for both headlight circuits. By routing 12V power straight to the headlights from the battery, and not tapping 9.5-10V out of the old harness and bulkhead connector, your lights will look like Halogens. Just use the stock 12V+ wires to the headlights as the relay exciter voltage, 12V battery buss power to the power input side of the relay and power out to the stock headlight harness. Put all the relays under the battery tray and youll never notice them.  Steve Wander

No comments: